LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, June 27, 2013

I think I'm getting my mojo back...

I had a great day at the gym today!!  Well, except for a little "gym rage" incident, but I'll hold off on bitching about it just yet.

I wasn't sure how today was gonna go when I walked in because....

...some heifer had the unmitigated GALL to be on MY elliptical machine!!  Can you even believe it?!

I know, it's one of my many OCD-like quirks.  I HAVE to use the same machine every day.  I don't know why, I just do.  So, when I saw someone else on it, I got a little panicky.

Then, I just decided, hell with it!  I'll change things up a bit!  I figured today was as good a day as any to try running on the treadmill.  After all, I DO have some other 5Ks coming up, that I'm not really in top condition for yet.

I  went down to the very last treadmill, next to the windows, so I could look out, and sort of pretend I was running outside.  (I know, lame.)  I started out walking, of course, just to warm up.  I increased my speed every 45 seconds or so, until I was walking along at 4 mph.  I know, not super fast, but I didn't want to push it.  You might remember that when I first joined the gym, I started off on the treadmill, and had LOTS of pain in my shins.

At near the 10 minute mark, I decided it was now or never.  I had to try running.  So, I upped the speed to 4.5 mph, and started a nice, slow jog.  I was doing it!!  AND, even crazier?  I was enjoying it!!  I was able to run for 10 minutes straight.  Now, I know that sounds like nothing to you "real" athletes, but to me, it was huge.  If you remember, the times that I ran outside, getting ready for the 5K, I would run from streetlight to streetlight, which takes what?  Realistically, about 30 seconds?  Then I upped it and went two streetlights, so what's that?  About a minute?  Minute and a half, tops?

I couldn't believe I was still jogging away after 10 minutes.  I couldn't decide if I should keep running, or walk a bit.  I figured since I walked first for 10 minutes, I would just alternate every 10 minutes.  Sounded great.

Well, at some point during my jogging, a different heifer (and trust me, that the NICEST word I could use here!) got on the treadmill two down from me.  Ok, no big deal, who cares, right?  Yeah, well, about 5 minutes into my walking phase, the bitch GETS ON THE PHONE.  Oh no she di-int!!!

Yeah, she did.  It was like this broad thought she was out at a club or something.  Even with my earbuds in, I felt like she was screaming in my ear.  ARGH!!!  I wanted to knock her ass right off that treadmill!!!

I knew there was NO WAY I was going to be able to take another 40 minutes of THAT.  So, instead of walking for 10 minutes, I walked for 5, then jogged for 5, and got the hell out of Dodge.  Ooo, I was SO mad!  There are signs EVERYWHERE in the gym about no cell phone use.  If the call is that important, step outside!!!  (See?  I warned you - gym rage!)

I ended up going back to "my" elliptical, since the other heifer woman was gone now.  I did 35 minutes, so I'd still get 65 minutes of cardio.  It felt really weird to only do half my usual time.  I was SO tempted to just do the regular 65 minutes, but I thought that might be pushing it.  Plus, I figured, if I really felt good after the hour on the machines, I could go back and do another 30 minutes.

I ended up trying a new machine (finally!) today.  I had decided the other day at the gym that I would add this machine on July 1, since I clearly need to step up my game.  But, today just seemed like the right time to do it, since I had already tried something different by running.  Plus, for some reason, the gym was really empty when I was there, so I didn't feel as intimidated.  It's an ab machine that's always scared me a bit, because it looked really hard.  Truthfully, I'm pretty sure I must have done it wrong, because it seemed way too easy.  Maybe I need to add weight to it?  I don't know.  I'll try that tomorrow and see.

Anyway, it's the AbCoaster, which is supposed to work your lower abs.  I need LOTS of work there, so I hope I figure it out soon.

Oo, I just realized, you can find ANYTHING on the internet!!  This is the machine:
 You can add weights to those bars under the seat.  There were already two plates on it when I got on, but I think I may need to add more.  Cuz, seriously, I want to eventually look like HER when I'm on it!
I don't know why I didn't think to look for images before.  Maybe I'll bore you with pictures of all the machines I use.  Hmmmm.....

Anyway, here are the numbers for today.

Treadmill
Walking 15 minutes (avg. 4 mph)
Jogging 15 minutes (4.5 mph)
263 calories
1.96 miles (that warm up cut into my mileage.  poop)
30 minutes

Elliptical
340 calories
3.25 miles
35 minutes

Total calories:  603
Total mileage: 5.21

Ab crunches 2x30@65
Straight Arm Ab 2x30@80
AbCoaster 30 reps forward, 30 on right, 30 on left (I stupidly didn't look to see how much weight was on the machine.)
Inner thigh 2x30@105
Outer thigh 2x30@100
Pull Downs 2x30@50
Shoulder press 30@10, 4x15@10 (WHY does this machine STILL kill me!?!?  I don't get it!)
Obliques 2x30@80

2013 Elliptical Totals
41,108 calories
351.75 miles

Walking/Running Totals
16.12 miles
(I guess I can't really track calories, since I really don't have a clue what I burned those first few times I ran.)

I felt like a million bucks when I left the gym today.  Like I said, I think I'm getting my mojo back!! =)

6 comments:

  1. GO GIRL!!
    Can you believe I never have been on a treadmill to run? I did once at the running shoe store so they could tell me what shoes I needed...but you rock!

    I feel the same way at my gym...only it is in the dressing room rage....there are big signs that say MEMBERS ONLY- Children and Family dressing rooms are across from the pool. But I will be enjoying my shower after a hard work out and some mom will drag her 2 year old in screaming, toss the kid in the shower so we all hear the kid whine and scream for 5 minutes and then dress the kid in the show!er while the kid talks really LOUDLY because voices echo in there. And then the mom walks out like no big deal. AHHHHHH!
    Happy Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the gym daily, and like you, have also just started giving the treadmill a try...running that is (to me it's running, to anyone else it looks more like a brisk walk). I know the old elliptical rage (and need to have my elliptical, but they replaced all of the elliptical's one day and I was forced to no longer have mine...which set me back a week or so as I was bummed) However, I do hope no one thinks of me as a heifer....that would just crush me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no!! "Heifer" is just really a ghetto word for "bitch." (One of the MANY things I picked up in my 2 decades of working in the ghetto!) It doesn't literally mean a heifer. :( Sorry if you were offended.

      Delete
  3. Whew....I was a bit worried there...so glad it's not literal! I found you a long ass time ago, threw Maria, however just discovered this is where you have been blogging. I could write a book on the incredibly inconsiderate woman at my gym...a book. One time there was this woman who was on an elliptical. At first glance I saw nothing unusual, but at closer inspection I noticed her bra in the cup holder....but it gets better, when she got off the elliptical she pulled down her halter top(yes, a halter top in 2013, which just tells you who in fact we are dealing with here) and put her bra back on, for all the world to see. It's a woman's only gym, but really, I don't need to see that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my hell!!!! I literally just spit Veggie Chips all over my computer! That's a freakin' RIOT!!! Totally gross and disgusting, but a riot. And, yes, she would be someone I would refer to as a "heifer" for sure!!

      Delete
  4. WAY TO GO! I am proud of you for jogging! That is not easy, but you are doing it! I agree about having certain equipment that you want to use!

    ReplyDelete